Evergreen Club had its beginnings with a group of young German immigrants who would gather after attending English evening classes. They would enjoy an evening of “Gemütlichkeit”; meaning music, singing, dancing, enjoying refreshments, etc. The club was founded on May 24th, 1932, under the name “Heimatbund”, or Homeland Society. These informal gatherings lasted until 1937, when a group of men, most of them connected with full-fashioned hosiery business in the area, thought it would be a good idea to have their own clubhouse in the countryside. In September 1937, they purchased approximately 44 acres of land (our present location) in Ruscombmanor Township, consisting of a farmhouse, barn, woodland, and some cultivated and uncultivated areas, for the price of $2,660.00.
In 1948, the name of the Club was changed to “Evergreen Country Club, Inc.”. Over the years, many renovations were made. The Clubhouse was enlarged, a modern bar was installed, and a pavilion was erected in the grove. The Ladies Auxiliary lent the moral and monetary support, as well as a helping hand to these projects, just as they continue today.
In the 1960's many younger people joined our club, which, in 1966 led to the founding of the Evergreen Soccer Club (a division of the Evergreen Country Club). These young people, like the club founders, worked long, hard hours, and built their own soccer field stadium on the club premises in 1966. Still later, in 1970, the E.S.C. Junior Division was founded.
In 1989-1990 a large pavilion, with a stage and dance floor was erected. The pavilion seats approximately 240 people. Devoted Club members have made many other noticeable outside improvements. The Soccer Club saw renewed interest, and a dance group, the “Auerhahn Schuhplattlers”, became part of the Club. In 2003 the Sommer Garten was dedicated, and members could enjoy their dinner in an outdoor “Bier Garten” environment.
We have come a long way, and we can be proud of our achievements as we try to uphold the original principles of our founders. Let us all hope and pray that these same principles will be upheld for many years to come.
President : Brian Henion
1st. V.P. : Daryl Zeiner
2nd. V.P. : Eric Meck
Treasurer : Carol Lerch
Asst.Treasurer : Ben Meck
Secretary : Mike Keeney
Asst. Secretary : Cindy Thomas
Kitchen Trustee : Lauren Meck
Grounds Trustee : Bob Martin
Grounds Trustee : Brian Schucker
Bar Trustee : Cindi Henion
Bar Trustee: Ziggy Walschburger
IT IS WITH SINCERE GRATITUDE THE EVEGREEN CLUB WOULD LIKE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FOLLOWING MEMBERS, FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES FOR THEIR GENEROSITY:
HERMAN PFISTERER, CAROL AND ZIGGY TRASSERT, CAROL LERCH IN MEMORY OF CLARENCE LERCH, PAT AND MIKE HUCK, CINDI AND BRIAN HENION, JEAN AND KERRY ADAMS, ALYSE DIEHL, HEDY AND ZIGGY WALSCHBURGER, BILL HOFFECKER, CORA AND FRANK OSENBACH, LINDA AND RUDY RAUH, TOM BABB, KIM AND VAN MCDOWELL, BEV AND TONY BOGOVICH, GRETCHEN AND SAM MARTIN, SUE AND PAUL CHRISTMAN, ROSIE AND SAM DEWALD, MR. AND MRS. GERALD KEENER, JOANNE AND JOE MARNELL, GORDON ANKE, EDWARD HARTMAN, WALTER CLAUSSEN, KAREN AND JOHN PATTON, BOB AND LORETTA DAUT, NANCY BORTZ, GEORGE KLEPPINGER, MATHEW DUPUAY, RONALD AND VICKI ROW, JAMES MOYER, BILL FRASER, DONALD LONG, DOUG AND LINDA WEIDNER, ALFRED AND ERIKA KLATT, JACK AND LISA BORDEN, DAVID AND INGA SHANER, AUERHAHN SCHUHPLATTERS VEREIN, KEN AND DORTHY GORDON, ED AND KATHY ALBRECHT, JEFF AND JUDY ESHELMAN, BOB AND VERA MARTIN, BOB AND NINI ZOPPEL, TRENT AND JENNIFER FREIZE, PATRICIA AND MICHAEL KEENEY, BOSCOVS IN MEMORY OF ALBERT TOALDO AND EVA SCHUBERT